Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The good in change

Well its been a little bit since I've had the chance to tell you all whats new in my world of my apprenticeship. When i transferred from the Haislip corp. I was nervous about where I would work at next. I was sent to work for Jay Worch electric (JWE) at Calvert County high. The commute is great! I don't have to deal with rush hour or sitting on that parking lot we call the beltway. My workload is a lot more now that I'm in my 3rd year of the apprenticeship but i also chose to give myself more. I'm working with 2 or more mechanics at a time, keeping track of material, making material list for the jobs that i have to complete or get started on. Also been working with the prints a lot more. The funny thing is that since i took the initiative to learn more about my job site and prints i have multiple people asking me questions for multiple jobs the mechanics are doing. Of course because of my size I'm still doing a lot of the heavy work but that's fine with me. My Foreman and Sub Foreman are great guys and are very knowledgeable of our trade. They took me under their wings and are teaching me a lot. From control work to fire alarm and everything in between. The best part i think is i love going to work. There is never a dull moment working and were always staying extremely busy. I sleep like a 2 year old when i get home, I even have to take a nap! School is defiantly getting harder as the years go by. There is so much knowledge to retain for class that you find yourself thinking about electricity when your off or out of school. Off subject, I have come to realize that working as Union electrician it also teaches you good lessons in life. Mainly the value of a dollar. With gas prices and the cost of buying lunch daily you will realize that the cheeseburger is not that great when the tank is on E. Then you go somewhere else that you can ride with someone and you see the bank account start growing. The best thing about this trade is the options are limitless only if you apply yourself. That's why i don't turn anything down even if i have already encountered it. The more you do it the better you become so the way i see it give me task so i can become one of the best their is! The only thing that will ever hold you back is yourself so if you fail you can only blame yourself. Until next time stay on the safe side!

P.S Will someone comment! I feel like I'm writing myself!

2 comments:

  1. Dude keep posting. Guaranteed There are readers. I live in Lusby and am waiting to get in the program so this is beyond interesting and helpful to me. Thanks for writing all this. Maybe you can do a throwback post about your experience at the beginning of the process then what its like now.
    Thanks again,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. my beginning will be different from yours and everyone else. The only thing I will say is that the further you progress the more responsibility you will have and you just have to apply yourself and know there is no task to big or your not above doing something. This is a career not a job and thats the mindset you need to keep. So if your asked to sweep floors or tie in switch gear you do it with no pause and get it done.

    ReplyDelete